Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:52:57 +0200

Hi Kieren,

I now found a conveniant method to adjust the fontsize for
italic/dynamic-font-parts separately.
Ofcourse the aligning was based on the same fontsize for both and is
broken now. So this is next on my TODO-list.
Not sure when I'll have the time to continue, though. I have to work
this weekend :((

> Hi Harm,
>
> One correction to my answers from last time:
>
>> Will you ever want to have this parts to be not italic but sth else?
>>> Ideally, I suppose, all 'usual' text properties could be adjusted… but in
>>> my use-cases, I set the main document font, the dynamic 'normal-text' font
>>> is always italic, and I only need to adjust the size (relative to the size
>>> of the dynamic font) in my stylesheet.
>
> Can it take markup, instead of just a string?

Not with the current approach which needs a string.

> I could see that being quite useful — possibly even necessary (though I don't
> have a concrete use-case right now).

The current task is to automate creation of a dynamic markup and to
automate aligning.
Every automatism will have to follow certain rules, which ofcourse are
limitations as well.

Right now string-parts which should become dynamics are flagged by
being inside {} and containing only characters from the
dynamic-charset.
It's thinkable to do the same with other sorts of flagging.
For example:
all between **-signs -> bold
all between __-signs -> underlined
etc.
Though, I think that would mean overdoing it and the more stuff of
this kind is coded, the more characters are preserved and longer
usable normally in the markup.
Well, one could use escaped signs and ...

I think I already wrote about overdoing and rules/limitations.

You can always do things manually.
make-dynamic-scripts accepts whatever markup you want. ;)

Ofcourse I could pass a user-created-markup unchanged as the original
function already did, but aligning it would be the duty of the user.

Cheers,
  Harm