Re: Remove given tagged expression from given context

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Re: Remove given tagged expression from given context
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:41:29 -0400

> On 19.07.2017 01:02, Pierre-Luc Gauthier wrote:
>> I know it may sound silly but :
>>      \context {
>>        \Staff
>>        %\removeWithTag #'tagged …please?
>>      }

> The example below does indeed not make sense, because \removeWithTag and its
> friends are music functions.

Yes, of course.
I tried to express more of a concept rather than an actual m*W*e.

>You can of course enclose the entire music
> expression inside a score with \removeWithTag,

This is not what I'm looking for as the same musical expression is to
be used in many places.

E.g.:
bassoonI = {
    \tag #'scoreOnly {R1}
    \tag #'singlePartOnly {<>"Stuff"{R1}}
    \tag #'partcombineOnly {<>"evenMoreStuff"R1}
}

> But the first question should be: what are you trying to do?

Inheritance.
I'm looking for a more convenient way (for me anyway) to deal with
tags in large orchestral work.
Basically I'm thinking of using the inheritance of context so that
e.g. every parts would \removeWithTag #'(tagI, tagII, tagIII).

e.g. For the sax part
\Staff
\musicianPart
\transposingEFlat
\Woodwinds
\SaxAltoPart

So I could then do :
\new SaxAltoPart \saxAltoMusic

Then, *every* SaxAltoPart would have the same parameters such as,
tagged removed/kept, clef, transposition, etc.

Currently I got this huge system that is working but is quite hard to maintain :

E.g.:

clarinetI-IIAPart =
\transpose a, c <<
  \new Staff \with {
    \transposition a
    midiInstrument = "clarinet"
  }  {
    \set Staff.soloText = #"Clar.I"
    \set Staff.soloIIText = #"Clar.II"
    \partcombine
    \removeWithTag #'(scoreOnly singlePartOnly) << \structure \clarinetI  >>
    \removeWithTag #'(scoreOnly singlePartOnly) << \structure \clarinetII >>
  }

My main problem with this is : dealing with *lots* of tags and *lots* of code.
Well, more specifically, the problem arise when dealing with them manually.
By that I mean manually copying them(tags) to (currently 128) different parts.
Each music expression I have (e.g. \clarinetI) is to be used by many
parts (e.g. Bflat clarinet and A clarinet) and each one of them
declined in different parts (e.g. One for concert score, one for
transposing score, one for single part, one for partcombine'd, etc).

What I figured would be perfect for me is inheritance.
And I did some MWE using inheritance with contexts.
I'm just fooling around here but it looks promising.

Thanks for the input Simon.
I'll try and make a better example.

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier