Re: NullVoice lyrics alignment error

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Re: NullVoice lyrics alignment error
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:58:47 -0400

> I think you're exceeding the capabilities of NullVoice.
> It will passively follow the position of timing points
> set by other voices and thereby give \lyricsto the
> position and alignment information it needs for setting
> the lyrics, but it doesn't actively set the positions
> of the notes.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

> Could you try using Voice with \hideNotes?

Yes it does work.
I will try in more complex situations but, then again,
If adding "\hideNotes" fills the purpose of NullVoice, why is it there?
Obviously, it is far more semantically correct to use NullVoice rather
than hiding stuff manually as it *is* the purpose of NullVoice; if am
assuming correctly?
For example, I'm pretty sure the \hideNotes technique won't work for
adding lyrics to a \partcombine part which I use extensively.

Here is the \hideNotes version :

\version "2.21.0"

displayedMusic = {R1}

lyricsMusic = {r16 c''}

verse = \lyricmode {Lyrics}
% Somehow ^this line breaks Frescobaldi indentation.

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice \displayedMusic
  %\new NullVoice = "nullVoice" \lyricsMusic
  %\new Lyrics \lyricsto "nullVoice" \verse
  \new Voice = "hiddenVoice" <<\hideNotes \lyricsMusic>>
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "hiddenVoice" \verse

I'm still curious as to why it doesn't work though.
I read the :
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/nullvoice
documentation.
Isn't a NullVoice context one that basically sets most stencils to false?
So am-I correct to assume the notes are still there?
Is the problematic lyric being attached to a note *behind* the G clef
(as seen in my initial example)?
I know the problem in my example comes from the fact that an MMR is
not "timed"(<-what would be the correct word here?) it is just
"centered" in the measure.
I suppose that the lyrics has no "timed" stuff to align to.

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier