Re: Reducing staff numbers in LilyPond

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Reducing staff numbers in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:00:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ken,

I have a choral piece where some of it is 4-part divisi SATB, and some of it is unison (true unison, not octaves). I would love to notate this in LilyPond with the two (women's & men's) staves combining visually into one staff - when in the middle of a printed line, I'd like it to actually converge to the single staff, something like this (which I just pasted together crudely in an image editor):

https://i.stack.imgur.com/FV0Q5.png

Is that possible in LilyPond?

Everything is possible in lilypond ;) , but sometimes things are difficult to achieve.

I don't know how to (easily) do what your sketch shows, but maybe the solution presented at http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=650 is something you could use as well?

Kind regards,
Michael