Re: Increasing spacing between staves

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Increasing spacing between staves
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:02:12 -0500

On 11/10/2017 12:49 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
Is there some way of increasing or specifying the space between the 2
staves of a piano staff at a particular point in a score?

The piece I am setting has a lot of cross-staff beams, and sometimes
Lilypond does not allow enough space between the staves for a decent-
looking beam.  In those cases I would like to force a greater space
between the 2 staves just for that particular printed line of music.

I do not wish to alter the minimum staff spacing globally.  But the
particular points where extra spacing is needed may not occur at the
beginning of a line, and of course the spacing of the whole line must
be changed.

Can this be done?

David

Hi David,

(not sure what version you are on but this will change the space for the piano)

Yes. Simply use this code to taste:

\new PianoStaff \with {
    \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing = #'(
                            (basic-distance . 0)
                            (padding . 0))
  }

via http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/vertical-spacing