Re: Moving from lilypond 2.18 to 2.19

From: Matt Wallis
Subject: Re: Moving from lilypond 2.18 to 2.19
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:49:18 +0000

On 22/11/2017 16:33, David Kastrup wrote:
You know: the minimal example would have been

\midi { \time 4/4 }
Nice minimalism! And I thought I'd done well to reduce the original 200+ lines in 4 files down to 13 in 1!
and that would have saved adding a lot of other explanation:
... which shows my lack of understanding about what was the true nature of the problem...
The error is triggered by the use of \global in the midi block when
global contains "\time 4/4". Incidentally, if the midi block contains
a \key signature, but no \time, then it works fine in 2.19.80.

I can understand that \time is irrelevant to midi (as is \key?), but
I've used this lazily in the past because it works.
It is intended to work.  I am surprised that this has been overlooked
for so long.

I'd be interested to know if you think the correct fix is to restore
the original 2.18.2 behaviour, or to output an error message that
identifies the line that causes the problem.
I'm currently writing two fixes.  One makes a better warning, the other
does not trigger it.
Great. Thank you.