Re: [OT] Linux Users

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: [OT] Linux Users
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:15:11 -0600

On Wed 22 Nov 2017 at 11:43:37 (+0100), Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 20.11.2017 18:12, Hilary Snaden wrote:
> >If there are any "graphical tools" as good as LaTeX, I'll be
> >interested to hear of them.
>
> Adobe InDesign is certainly in many ways a “better” tool than LaTeX,
> in some “just as good” (like with the line breaking algorithms that
> it learned from TeX), and in some “less useful”, I’d assume
> particularly due to its closed source nature and lack of plain text
> input format.

I was under the impression that A-ID was now a rental service, not
a bought product. This carries the implication that continued access
to your own files is conditional on paying the rental fee (for ever).

BTW I don't think it has been revealed what the "graphical tools" are
that were alluded to in the OP.

I started using LilyPond in 2007 on Debian's sarge which used LP
2.2.6, still through the DVI→PS→PDF chain, but I quickly moved to
2.8.7 later in the year. My wife had bought a windows GUI program
which she quickly outgrew. Instead, she typed in the basic notes
and lyrics, and I did the rest with LP.

I migrated to Debian linux in 1996 on its first named release, after
a brief flirtation with Slackware running over a DOS filesystem
(UMSDOS), thereby coexisting with DOS/Windows3.1.

I migrated from GCAL on Phoenix (daisy-wheel printers!) to …TeX in
1986, originally running on DOS and Vaxen. I settled on emacs at about
the same time after a variety of highly customised platform-specific
editors. I now use the LuaTeX engine with all PDF files apart from
the odd jpg/png.

Cheers,
David.