Volta Alternatives (music theory)

From: Joe Davenport
Subject: Volta Alternatives (music theory)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 13:14:23 -0700

Hello,

Another basic question to fill the vaults... I like to work with alternative endings for repeats, i.e.

\repeat volta 2

\alternative { }

where alternative is two endings matched with the repeat number (i'll explain why):

\alternatives {
{do re do me do }
{ mi re do }
}

I want "volta 2," repeats because it works and the third repetition does not occur until the ENTIRE score has been read- all the way through. My thinking is to engrave it as something like this:

My theory isn't what it could be. Do I need a dal signo? My thinking is that I do, at the end, with a coda at the starting point and a sign on the ending I wish to repeat! Hopefully this was easy to read. I'm trying to emulate a simplicity to music and thought I'd share this to hear something on a technical level.

Thank you.

--
Joseph Davenport