Re: polymeter line breaks

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: polymeter line breaks
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 23:45:44 +0100

You must explicitly allow Lilypond to create a line break in mid-measure. This is possible by \bar "". There are ways to do this automatically, but maybe in your case it's not so bad to keep control over which places you want to permit for a line break?

But anyway: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/making-all-grobs-breakable-for-easier-polymetric-scores-td204855.html

Best
Lukas

\version "2.18.2"

\include "english.ly"

\header {
  title = "Test"}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"

\new ChoirStaff <<

  \new Staff {
    \numericTimeSignature
    \time 5/4
    c'4 d' e' f' g' | f' e' d' c' b |
    \time 2/8 r4 | \time 5/4
    \repeat unfold 6 {c'4 d' e' f' g' | f' e' d' c' \bar "" b |}
  }

  \new Staff {
    \numericTimeSignature
    \time 5/4
    \repeat unfold 7 {e'4 f' g' a' b'| c'' d'' e'' f'' g''|}

hi,

I'm trying to notate a score which contains multiple vocal parts, in which some of the parts have rhythmic 'phasing'- i.e. one or more extra notes are occasionally inserted to shift the part rhythmically with respect to the other parts.

The way I've been trying to do it is by treating it as a polymetric score, with occasional short bars inserted to represent the phasing.

It's great that Lilypond allows polymetric scores like this. However, I've struck a problem with line breaks. The attached example is a simplified illustration of the problem.

Here there are just two parts, and a 2/8 bar is inserted for the phasing at bar 3 of the upper part. After that there is no more phasing, so the subsequent 5/4 bars just continue with a rhythmic shift between them.

Lilypond seems to have trouble deciding where to put a line break, and the second line (after the phasing) continues off the page. I was hoping it would break one of the parts mid-bar to allow a sensible line break for both parts.

I'm using a slightly older version of Lilypond (2.18.2) so I don't know if the behaviour is any different in later versions.

Is there a way to allow it to break this line either automatically or manually? I tried inserting manual breaks, but it said: "warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?" (which is odd, since I am already using bar checks).

Or perhaps there's a different way of notating the phasing that avoids the problem (while still giving a faithful visual representation of the phasing process)?

Thanks, Adrian