edition-editor usage

From: Mason Hock
Subject: edition-editor usage
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:09:29 -0800

I have a piece in which each performer reads from a version of the score with their staff full-sized with the other parts on small staves. This pieces also requires a lot of manual tweaking of slurs.

I've been using \shapeII for the slurs, which works great, except that if I shape the slur correctly for the full-sized version of the part it is shaped incorrectly for the small version of the part and vice versa. In order for the slurs to look good in both situations I need two sets of \shapeII tweaks.

edition-editor looks like a promising solution, but I'm having trouble learning how to use it. The only documentation I can find is the usage examples here.

https://github.com/openlilylib/edition-engraver/tree/master/usage-examples

Each example is very specific, which makes it difficult to decode how edition-engraver works in general. I guess my questions are

(1) Will edition-engraver work for tweaking slurs with \shapeII?

(2) If so, what should be my approach in terms of organization? My guess would be to have 8 editions, a full-size version and small version for each of the 4 staves, where each pdf uses 1 full-size edition and 3 small editions.

(3) How do I make certain 'editions' (at this point I'm questioning whether I'm using that term correctly) apply to certain staves in each pdf?

(4) What is the basic syntax for using edition-editor? It's difficult to tell from the examples in the repo what is the basic syntax and what is extending it.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Mason