Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 09:31:37 +0000

On 23/12/17 17:00, address@hidden wrote:

I would like to write music in just intonation.

I would like to make a script similar to the (great!) Sagittal script of
Graham Breed (http://x31eq.com/lilypond/) but for the so called Ben
Johnston tuning system (BJTS) (I've noticed there was some discussion
about it a while ago).

It'd be easier to start with the Extended Hemholtz-Ellis JI Pitch Notation support, in the same repository:

https://bitbucket.org/x31eq/microlily

This isn't a script, it's code that runs inside Lilypond. There are outstanding issues, like the spacing comes out wrong, and it uses an old font anyway.

There's a big matrix that ties alterations to glyphs and you should be able to go in and change it.

The BJTS identifies every just interval as a discrete note, so there is
not one the same.

Yes, one problem would be if there are different ways of referring to the same interval and the code has to choose which to use.

I use the so called Pythagorean scale as my basenotes (here I differ
from the original tuning system) C - D - E - F - G - A - B. These
basenotes are raised or lowered with all sorts of comma's and chroma's
to represent the appropriate pitch.

That makes things easier as well.

                Graham