Re: spanners in multi-voice

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: spanners in multi-voice
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:53:19 +0100

> Update:
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM, N. Andrew Walsh <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Arrgh. I may not have resolved my issue (or, there's something going on
>> here I don't understand).
>>
>> Here's an example:
>> [SNIP]
>>
>>  | %8
>>  d32\( a'16.~ a4.\)
>>

> The problem is this measure. When a spanner that starts in a multi-voice
> measure, and ends in a multi-voice measure, has a single-voice measure in
> between, I get the error. When I replace measure 8 with the following:
>
> | %8
>  <<
>    { d32\( a'16.~ a4.\) }
>    \\
>    { s2 }
>  >>

> … then it works fine. This seems like a bit of an ugly hack, but I suppose
> there's no better way to do this (and there's probably some good reasons why
> it should work like that).
>
> So just to confirm: is this intended behavior?
>
> Cheers,

Yes.
Read NR 5.1.3 Keeping contexts alive

Following this leads to:

\new Staff
<<
\context Voice = "1" { s2*10 } %% put in the length of the voices
\context Voice = "2" { s2*10 } %% put in the length of the voices
\relative c'' {
\time 4/8

%1-2
 R2*2

 | %3
 <<
   { a,16\cresc\( d~ d4.\) }
   \\
   { a8~ a4. }

 | %4
 <<
   { a16\( d f4.\) }
   \\
   { a,8~ a4. }

 | %5
 <<
   { \tuplet 3/2 { a16\( d f } a4.\) }
   \\
   { a,8~ a4. }

 | %6
 <<
   { \tuplet 6/4 4 { a16\( d f a d f } a4\!\) }
   \\
   { a,,4~ a }

 | %7
 <<