Re: Alignment of full-page scores in text documents

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Alignment of full-page scores in text documents
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:34:43 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:03:46 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best setting for page margins for mixed
text/music documents. The task is to automatically set the margins in
LilyPond depending on a LaTeX document where full-page scores are
included.

We have the horizontal margins more or less fixed, by default
LilyPond's staff symbol will exactly match LaTeX's linewidth. When
naively setting LilyPond's vertical margins to those of the text the
result is (expectedly) rather ppor, as you can see here:
https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/29#issuecomment-361159545.
What I would basically want to achieve is mathing the outermost *staff
lines* with the text's type area.

When manually trying different values I found that I would like the
topmost staffline align not with the actual margin but the X-height of
the corresponding text. This can be seen here:
https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/29#issuecomment-361162799

On that same image the bottom staff line is aligned to the baseline
of the text, and I'm not sure if that is the right choice. Somehow the
score visually looks lower than the text,

Isn't it because the "center of mass" of the notes in the last staff
is below it?
I'd guess that a similar (i.e. too high) effect would exist for the
top staff if most notes were above it.
My impression is that the latter image looks fine, once you assume
that the "visual frame" is induced by the (empty) staves.

Regards,
Gilles

and I wonder whether there
should be a similar amount of padding like at the top margin. But of
course there is no "natural" reference point here.

What is your opinion on this issue?

Best
Urs