Re: Force top-system-spacing to be absolute

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Force top-system-spacing to be absolute
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:46:38 +0100

Hi Urs,

On 01/29/2018 02:27 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
[...]
I want to have a score start with a defined position of the first staff symbol to match the type area of a surrounding text document. [...]

   #'((basic-distance . 16)
      (minimum-distance . 0)
      (padding . 0)
      (stretchability . 0))

[...] However, when I change the repeat to 150 LilyPond compresses the output pretty much, which is still nice as an engraving but also moves the first system up (see top-margin-compressed.png). You can see that the distance of "16" is still in place, but it doesn't point to the middle staffline anymore.

I assume that it's not the reference point that has changed but the system has been offset vertically from that reference point.

What is the correct way to force the first system to be at an absolute position on the staff, i.e. in the example the center line exactly 16 staff spaces below the page border?

IIUC, I think you should set minimum-distance to 16 (and, possibly, enforce it with a negative padding). Note the following remarks for basic-distance and stretchability (from NR 4.1.4):

basic-distance – the vertical distance [...] when no collisions would result, and no stretching or compressing is in effect. [...]

stretchability – [...] If zero, the distance will not stretch (unless collisions would result). [...] Note that the dimension’s propensity to compress cannot be directly set by the user and is equal to (basic-distance - minimum-distance).

HTH,
Alex