Re: endless tab?

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: endless tab?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 09:33:41 +0100

Am 06.02.2018 03:15, schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi bb,

Do you simply want 17/16? I use times like this very often. Just use
time 17/16 and you will get barlines.

Thank you! This is a possibilty if one really wants 17/16. I do not. But lilypond does not serve the sloppy user perfectly from using such constructs inattentively - lilypond could do!

But I think you are algorithmically generating the notes and
durations, in which case, why can't you also generate the /time
commands for each section where you want a particular time signature?

My hand written pieces often change time sig every bar, and with any
sort of signature you like - lilypond handles that just fine, and
places barlines as expected. I use 15/16 commonly. Not a problem. And
in fact I hide the time signatures (for reasons not relevant to this
topic) so you can do that too if you want, and still have barlines.

For this case I think it's better to \omit the bar check.

This is a deeply nested thread so it's hard to read. Apologies if I
have entirely missed the point!

It is always good to exchange ideas and discuss about.

Andrew

Let me add a third experiment:
\version "2.19.80"
\relative c ''{ d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a
            #gis a b c d  e f g a b c
}

and a fourth experiment:
\version "2.19.80"
\relative c ''{ d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a
            d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a
            d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a
}

I find it remarkable that warnings arise "one bar later". I would understand this behaviour , if the first bar is not completed and there is missing something to fill the bar - bit in this case lilypond is not seting a bar line. Butt remeber that the first bar is overstuffed by 1/16.

Thanks for your mail and regards.

Again old arguments. Imagine two experiments:

Case 1: I set an arbitrary bar (the manual calls it "bar check")
version "2.19.80"
relative { d''4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis | }
That enables lilypond to checking the bar content and tells me in
this case that the check failed ...
17/16 is > 4/4

Case 2: lilypond is setting the barline on the same position
(wrong/critcal, however you might call it)
version "2.19.80"
relative { d''4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis  }
The bar content is 17/16>4/4 again and tells NOTHING!
As there is set a barline lilypond can check the bar content and
Nobody has explained me why in this case lilypond should not be
able to use its algorithm to find 17/16 ? The algorithm is existing
- use it for this as well!