Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm

From: Richard M
Subject: Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:47:49 -0500

Hello, list,

how does LilyPond create the key signature for Gis major?

I've attached a file to compile the key signature, which results in: C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#, and Fx. It is interesting to me that the key signature begins with C#, and the Fx is placed at the end.

I'm wondering if there's a resource the developers used (perhaps a notation manual) that gave a rule for how key signatures with double accidentals should be formatted. We all know how 'normal' key signatures are formed, but I can not find a resource that mentions key signatures with double accidentals. It seems more likely that LilyPond uses an algorithm to create the key signature (especially since, for example, inputting `\key fisis \major` gives an output).

Regarding Gis major, other possibilities are: Fx, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, and B# (with Fx at the beginning). Or even: F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#, and Fx (with F# at the beginning and Fx at the end). There may be others.

So I'm looking for how LilyPond forms these key signatures, and why Gis major results in one particular key signature and not one of the other two. There must be a rule somewhere that makes that determination.

Thank you,

Richard