Re: More than one tempo mark in a score

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: More than one tempo mark in a score
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:42:08 +0000

> Hi Peter,

>> The nuisance is that you have to count all the silent bars where there aren't any tempo changes, which is far less convenient than simply adding a \tempo "Allegro" at the relevant place in the score!

> So you're only adding your tempo markings to one context? And now
> you're going to manually add it to a second context? What happens if
> you change the tempo marking? You'll have to (manually) change it in both places, yes?

True - though in my score there are just 2 contexts (as I said, it's piano 4-hands)

>> Or is there a way of moving to a particular bar number without all the counting?

> There are several such functions floating around: the
> edition-engraver (EE) of course supports this kind of thing; David K
> once wrote an "addAt" (I think?) function; and I remember at least one other attempt some years ago.

You've lost me here - what is the EE? It's not in the Internals ref.

>> That would be difficult if there are \set Score.currentBarNumber commands to cope with as well.

> The EE handles that situation; I don't remember if the addAt function does.

> Another possibility — essentially exactly what you're asking about
> — would be to write a [Scheme?] engraver that checked all contexts
> in a score for a MetronomeMark event, and added any event found to
> all "flagged" contexts automatically. Maybe look into that option!

My programming days are over now - it's been some time since I was a professional and I really don't want to have to learn yet another language! Also, I'm on a windows-based machine, and I gather that this gives difficulties with developing LP (and many other public domain programs).

> Hope that helps,
Yes it does!

www.kierenmacmillan.info

===8<===========End of original message text=========== Monday, February 12, 2018, 3:22:27 PM, you wrote:

> Hi Peter,

>> The nuisance is that you have to count all the silent bars where there aren't any tempo changes, which is far less convenient than simply adding a \tempo "Allegro" at the relevant place in the score!

> So you're only adding your tempo markings to one context? And now
> you're going to manually add it to a second context? What happens if
> you change the tempo marking? You'll have to (manually) change it in both places, yes?

True - though in my score there are just 2 contexts (as I said, it's piano 4-hands)

>> Or is there a way of moving to a particular bar number without all the counting?

> There are several such functions floating around: the
> edition-engraver (EE) of course supports this kind of thing; David K
> once wrote an "addAt" (I think?) function; and I remember at least one other attempt some years ago.

You've lost me here - what is the EE? It's not in the Internals ref.

>> That would be difficult if there are \set Score.currentBarNumber commands to cope with as well.

> The EE handles that situation; I don't remember if the addAt function does.

> Another possibility — essentially exactly what you're asking about
> — would be to write a [Scheme?] engraver that checked all contexts
> in a score for a MetronomeMark event, and added any event found to
> all "flagged" contexts automatically. Maybe look into that option!

My programming days are over now - it's been some time since I was a professional and I really don't want to have to learn yet another language! Also, I'm on a windows-based machine, and I gather that this gives difficulties with developing LP (and many other public domain programs).

> Hope that helps,
Yes it does!

www.kierenmacmillan.info