Re: Is lilypond really suitable for composing?

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: Re: Is lilypond really suitable for composing?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:34:09 -0700

I have always found that nothing beats plain pencil and sheets of staff paper, until I have the basic piece fairly complete. For me, it's clearly faster to make even a second draft on paper than to move at that point to LP and continue from there. I consider fast "hand writing" on staff paper to be a basic composing skill, long used by those who come before us.

Working this way, alterations are so much easier, in the initial stages. Later, I find the reverse to be true. I do love getting to the point where it's time to produce an actual engraved score, but revisions certainly do continue after that.

Tom

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ~ Neil Gaiman

Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA) | address@hidden
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332