Re: Is lilypond really suitable for composing?

From: Frauke Jurgensen
Subject: Re: Is lilypond really suitable for composing?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:18:11 +0000

I would agree with those who counsel paper and pencil for the compositional process itself. I would also argue that developing the link between notation and your inner ear is extremely helpful if you're going to use notation, and that software with playback features can be counterproductive in getting people to develop that link. I ban my students from using notation software in first year, at least, and strongly discourage it among more advanced students.