Re: Beams and staff line thickness

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Beams and staff line thickness
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 15:39:43 -0400

Hi Noeck,

> when playing with staff line thicknesses, I encountered the following
> problem:
>
> \relative {
>  \override Staff.StaffSymbol.thickness = #4
>  c''8 g a a
> }
>
> In general, I thought Lilypond scales a lot of thicknesses and distances
> according to staff lines and staff spaces. But here the beams don’t
> start and end aligned with the stems but more centered on the stems.
> With normal staff symbol thickness this looks ok (although I can’t tell
> at 300% zoom).
>
> Should I just not play with this thickness in that uncoordinated way or
> is that an issue?

Perhaps <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-01/msg00163.html>
will help?

I think there needs to be (a) better documentation of which items are tied to
staff-line and/or staff-space distances, or (b) a way to set an absolute value
(like with font-size).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer