Re: Problem with a font

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Problem with a font
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 17:53:24 +0200

Am 03.04.2018 um 17:30 schrieb Walter Garcia-Fontes:
* Abraham Lee, address@hidden [03/04/18 17:23]:
Hi, Walter!
I took at a look at the internals of the font and you're not seeing
anything unintended (unfortunately). The single ASCII apostrophe is set
abnormally low compared to most any other font out there, which is why it
looks vertically offset by LilyPond. In LibreOffice and other
word-processors, when the user hits the button on the keyboard for the
ASCII apostrophe (same goes for quotation marks), the ASCII character gets
replaced by the true (curly) typographic apostrophe, which is set in the
more appropriate vertical position. Could be just an oversight or it could
be intentional. I'm not sure, but from what I am seeing, it's a "feature"
of the font and nothing that LilyPond is doing wrong. The obvious
alternative is to use typographic aposotrophes/quotation marks in your
source file and the problem should go away, appearing just like in
LibreOffice.

Thanks a lot!, that's very clear.

Just a question, sorry if it is obvious, what do you mean by
"typographic apostrophes/quotation marks"?

ASCII: He said "I'd call it 'clear'."
That’s the forms used on typewriters which were included in the ASCII standard and found on most keyboards.

typographic: He said “I’d call it ‘clear’.”
That’s the forms used in books which are not part of ASCII but of Unicode and cannot be input on many keyboards; therefore some programs like Microsoft Office and OpenOffice/LibreOffice replace the ASCII forms by these.

Different languages use different typographic forms:

German style: Er sagte „Ich würd’s ‚klar‘ nennen.“