Re: cannot run ../.ly file which includes another file

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: cannot run ../.ly file which includes another file
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 21:22:46 +0200

Il giorno ven 13 apr 2018 alle 20:28, David Wright <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Fri 13 Apr 2018 at 19:01:27 (+0200), Federico Bruni wrote:
 Hi all

 Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this minimal example?
 I would expect the included file to be relative to the location of
 the file which includes it, not to the current working directory.
 What do you think?
 The only workaround is using the --include option?

 [build (master *+)]$ cat ../song.ily
 \version "2.19.0"

 myMusic = \relative c' {
  c4 d e f |
 }

 [build (master *+)]$
 [build (master *+)]$ cat ../song.ly
 \version "2.19.0"
 \include "./song.ily"

 \myMusic

 [build (master *+)]$ lilypond ../song.ly
 GNU LilyPond 2.19.81
 Processing `../song.ly'
 Parsing...
 ../song.ly:4:1: error: unknown escaped string: `\myMusic'

 \myMusic
 ../song.ly:4:9: error: syntax error, unexpected end of input,
 expecting '.' or '=' or ','
 \myMusic

 fatal error: failed files: "../song.ly"

I don't think this is the problem you think it is. It's actually

myMusic = \relative c' { c4 d e f | } \myMusic

where the definition of myMusic tries to eat itself.

Doh, I forgot the basics. Thanks David.
I've now moved \myMusic into a \score block and it works.