Re: Ottava mark: edge dashed line

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Ottava mark: edge dashed line
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 23:25:07 +0200

Am 16.04.2018 um 23:00 schrieb Thomas Morley:
> Again, I can see misaligned dots with evince but _not_ with Foxit Reader.
> A pdf-viewer artefact?

Hi Harm,

I think have a slight misunderstanding here. I don’t think it is
primarily a viewer artifact. IIUC, the horizontal dots are aligned on
the left boundary and they just end wherever they have to on the right.
So I see no reason why they should be aligned by design.
You can add and remove notes under the ottava bracket to get a different
length of the bracket and I guess you will see misaligned top-right
corners with all viewers (I suppose).

Sometimes the last gap is a little too wide (perhaps hardly noticable
like in foxfanfares last image). Sometimes two dots overlap and
sometimes it’s just perfect.

I guess not all viewers are perfectly drawing this from the pdf line
specification or why else should there be a difference?

As I said, I think it’s a question where the line starts: on the left or
on the right and then it’s kind of luck how they meet in the corner.

Cheers,
Joram