Re: Consistent vertical alignment of annotations, disable time signiture

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Consistent vertical alignment of annotations, disable time signiture
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 18:43:49 +0200

Robert Hickman <address@hidden> writes:

>> That's not Lisp/Scheme syntax but LilyPond syntax.  There is a
>> manual for it.  Several, in fact.
>
> I'm aware.
>
> \context {
>   \Staff
>   \omit TimeSignature
> }
>
> If I'm understanding this correctly, this would be written something
> like the following in a typical OO syntax:
>
> x =  Staff.clone();
> x.omit(TimeSignature);

And

currentlayout.set (x.name, x);

or something when the above appears in

\layout { ... }

Though \omit TimeSignature is short for the music expression

    \override TimeSignature.stencil = ##f

and is translated into the identical looking context modification by
some hook function.  Trying to understand LilyPond syntax based on how
it actually processes input is not likely to make learning easy since a
lot of complicated mechanisms work behind the scenes in order to make
things look easy.

--
David Kastrup