Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:02:07 +0100

On Sun, 2018-04-22 at 18:13 +0100, J Martin Rushton wrote:

> On 22/04/18 17:43, David Kastrup wrote:
> > J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Thanks all for the suggestions.
> >>
> >> Ben: I think he is required to use Sibelius at University that
> appears
> >> to be all that they have.
>
> > Is he majoring in music or in Sibelius?  If the former, he should
> be
> > able to hand in score sheets with music notation (even if they are
> in a
> > PDF created from hand-written scores) rather than notation files.
>
> It's the transferring to and fro that is the issue.  He works on a
> piece
> at uni, then wants to do additional work at home.  I assume that a
> PDF
> would be fine but I'd need to ask.

You can take the portable version of Denemo on a USB stick and run the
program anywhere (well, I just tried the public library), so you
wouldn't have to try to transfer the file format. Since Denemo is only
a front end for LilyPond you *must* be able to do the same with that...
(Denemo bundles the current LilyPond stable so that everything is self-
contained). You could work at the university on one of their computers
and then return home with your work on a USB stick and continue at
home.

Richard