Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:49:36 +0200

> From: Evan Driscoll <address@hidden>
> Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 12:42 PM
> To: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>
> Cc: Robert Hickman <address@hidden>, Kieren MacMillan
> <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden>, Lilypond-User
> Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
>

> That sounds good to me.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> In case it's not clear, my pseudo-objection to the wording
>
> +Note that @code{[} and @code{]} do not enclose the notes to be
> +slurred.
>
> is that the ( and ) literally *do* enclose the notes that are slurred,
> except for the first. I get that the intent seems somehow different between
> 'a( b c)' and '(a b c)' in terms of what the parens mean, but the 'b' and
> 'c' still are enclosed by the parens even in the LilyPond syntax.
>
> Since they only enclose *all but the first* note of the slur, they don’t
> enclose the notes to be slurred.
>
> a b ( c d ) will not put a slur encompassing c and d, but encompassing b, c,
> and d.  That is the primary mistake that newcomers make.
>
> But the wording that you helped me to see is probably clearer, so I will
> certainly go with that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Sometimes I think using "(" and ")" to indicate slurs leads to
misunderstandings, they are read as a sort of brackets (they are not)
Ofcourse it's conveniant, but I wonder, if doing like below would lead
to the same misinterpretation:

startSlur =  #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent START)
stopSlur = #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent STOP)

{
  a'-\startSlur b' c''-\stopSlur

  Harm