Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 22:38:53 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Carl,

>> Evan,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.  Feedback from new users is important for
>> improving the Learning Manual.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> There is a point that I was trying to make with these changes,
>> without jumping right out and saying it (because I couldn’t find a
>> good place to jump out and say it).  In LilyPond, *ALL* extra things
>> that apply to a note are added *after* a note, not before.
>
> To be complete.
> There's one exception I'm aware of: ligatures:
> \[ g' c, a' f d' \]

Ugh yes.  I think because nobody got around to changing this.

> If not,  think it should be inserted in section
> LM
> 3. Fundamental concepts
> 3.1 How LilyPond input files work
>
> My proposal:
>
> %%%%%%%% proposal-start
>
> LM 3.1.4 Attaching other elements to a note - postfix-syntax

I don't think we use the term "postfix-syntax" with any sort of
regularity.  I think we are not doing people favors by inventing new
terms when code, error messages and mailing lists are full of "post
event or "post-event".  I don't think there's enough to gain by coining
a comparatively new term.

> Writing a note means to enter a pitch with a duration (which may be implicit).
> Ofcourse several other elements may belong to this note, like fingerings,
> articulations, slurs, ties, text etc.
>
> All those elements are _attached_ to the note. An example in pseudo-code:
>
>   Note-of-pitch-c'-and-duration-8
>     with fingering 1
>     with articulation tenuto
>     with starting slur
>     with starting tie
>     with text 'what-ever-remark'
>
> Attaching elements in this mannor is called postfix-syntax.
>
> The above pseudo-code-example would be done in LilyPond-syntax as
>
> {
>   c'8-1---(-~-\markup "what-ever-remark"
>   %% end Slur
>   c'-)
> }
>
> The "-"-sign inserts the elements into the list of elements attached to this
> note.
> Ofcourse all those "-"-signs are probably hard to read, so for convenience
> most
> of them can be omitted. Above can be rewritten as:
>
> {
>   c'8-1--(~\markup "what-ever-remark" c')
> }
>

> LM 3.1.5 On the un-nestedness of brackets and ties
>
> %%%%%%%% proposal-end
>

> Ofcourse this only a sketch.
> Probably links to further explanations should be added. etc

Apart from the terminology nit, this sounds like a pretty good idea and
first draft.

--
David Kastrup