Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 18:13:14 +0200

On 26.04.2018 18:02, R wrote:
When the duration of the called variable is explicitly given, everything is correct. However, if you remove the duration and have it default to the normal quarter note, this causes a problem.

If you don’t give an explicit duration to a note, its duration is going to be the last duration previously encountered _in the input file_. This is done by the parser without any consideration about what’s eventually going to be used or how. The ‘default’ of a quarter note is therefore only effective for the very first note in a file. It’s a bad idea to rely on that, anyway. You should really start each variable and likely even each line with an explicit pitch _and_ explicit duration. (In my own use I’m not so strict about _every_ line, but the first line in each variable is a must.)

Best, Simon