Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:50:41 +0200

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 20:15, Jacques Menu Muzhic <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Going a bit further, I bumped into this case.
>
> Since the note at some interval from another one keeps its pitch name in its
> different « variants », how about Db’s seconds?
>
> diminished second   Ebbb ???
> minor second        Ebb
> major second        Eb
> augemented second   E
>
> I’m sure no one ever uses triple flats though, must have missed something…

Use the two-dimensional keyboard layout below, extending them as necessary: Put
in a chord which you know, and transpose it, or move from the one diagram to
the other. A seven-note diatonic scale will always have all seven note names.

           ^ #
          /
         . -> M
        / \
     b v   v m
where M (resp. m) is the major (resp. minor) second, and the
the sharp # (resp. flat b) raises (resp lower) with the interval
M - m, that is, the difference between the major and minor seconds.

Resulting key pattern, in a scale using names A B C D E F G:
      C#  D#  E#
    C   D   E   F#  G#  A#  B#
  Cb  Db  Eb  F   G   A   B
            Fb  Gb  Ab  Bb  C'
In terms of traditional interval names, writing
  P  pure
  M  major
  m  minor
  A  augmented