Re: spacer rest *

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 09:53:46 +0200

Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> Absolutely!!!!! And the problem is not really when "you see". It's when
> "you write". A learnear like me, after discovering the syntax "c4 4 4" will
> use with no problem like this:
>
> d4 c 4 4
>

> discovering that it engraves
>
> d4 c4 c4
>

> But starting from the moment that you say that  pitches and durations can
> be separated by a space I don't see any way to prevent this thing. But does
> human would ever separate pitch from duration and write "c 4 d 4 e 8"?

Spaces are not relevant anywhere in LilyPond except where whole words
have to be separated.

> If not, maybe we could output some sort of warning when the code
>  contains spaces between pitch and duration?

No, no, no, no, no.  Absolutely not.  Spaces are not relevant.  They are
not converted into tokens and thus don't partipate in grammar, like
comments.  It would be complete and utter madness to tamper with that.

If you want anybody to warn about that, talk to the Frescobaldi guys:
things like trying to heed conventions are not the business of LilyPond
but rather of those responsible for the creation of code or responsible
for helping to create code.

And I'd consider it a bad idea even for them.

--
David Kastrup