Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 10:34:32 +0000

On 2018-05-04 10:00, Wols Lists wrote:
I suspect the least pitch-flexible instrument is the oboe, as one
typically uses that for a tuning reference pitch.

Yep, and just to keep up tradition, it's the oboe player who operates the
digital tuning device. ;D

Until you get the player (or novice conductor!) who tries to tune the
brass section to an A !!!

I've had it happen - someone who insisted I tune my trombone to an A ...

Wols,

As a piano/keyboards/bass/guitar player here who has only played with an "orchestra" for high school musicals many moons ago, you have me wondering now:

From what I thought happened, the oboist tunes to the piano if one is used or to a tuner otherwise. From that point, I assume all the woodwinds can match the A and tune themselves. Strings usually have an open A, and then they can tune the rest by fourths/fifths. When and how do the brass typically get their reference pitch?

-- Aaron Hill