Re: Large Time Signatures Within Staves?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Large Time Signatures Within Staves?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 16:06:46 +0200

Hi Ben,

I need to create a wind ensemble engraving where the time signatures are large and *within* the staves themselves, overlapping specific instruments/groups throughout the score. I know how to place the time signatures above the staff but I can't find a way to place them within the instruments and groups.

Does anyone know a snippet or function that allows this? Is it fairly easy to implement?

The first variant is very easy to achieve:

\version "2.19.80"

noTimeSig = { \omit TimeSignature }
largeTimeSig = {
  \numericTimeSignature
  \override Staff.TimeSignature.font-size = 9
}

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff \with \noTimeSig {
    d''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \largeTimeSig {
    c''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \noTimeSig {
    d''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \noTimeSig {
    d''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \noTimeSig {
    d''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \largeTimeSig {
    d''4
  }
  \new Staff \with \noTimeSig {
    d''4
  }

The second one is harder because it probably involves dealing with the precise amount of space between to staves - maybe for determining the size, but certainly for the positioning (which should be centered with respect to a group of two or more staves). It's no problem at all to move the time signature downwards, a fixed amount, but this is bound to mess up when inter-staff space varies. Logically, such a time signature should not be belong to a single staff but to a set of successive staves. Maybe one of the Lilypond/Scheme-wizards here will come up with something like that.

Best
Lukas

Thank you!

(attached examples)