Re: System start delimiter for single staff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: System start delimiter for single staff
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 18:35:36 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 25 May 2018 at 01:21, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>>> This is stupid but
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks very much. This is exactly what is needed. It was the
> collapse-height concept that I was missing.
>
> This works well. Can you explain in what respect you designate this as
> stupid? It's certainly non-standard practice, but I find it is better to
> accede to these requests from my colleague than argue him out of it!

It's typographic nonsense since it puts a hard visual division at a
point where it does not belong.  This is a lot more obtrusive than a
double bar and is supposed to mean less than a double bar.  It makes it
much harder to visually find a matching repeat sign because the page is
littered with thick bars.

It makes it harder to follow a melody line since the first thing on the
next line is the fat line hitting you in the face.

Musical typography had not developed arbitrary.  Since people are used
to common practice, you need an excellent reason to diverge from it.
What your colleague does, however, is not an improvement but rather a
detraction.

That's why I call it stupid.  LilyPond can be made to do stupid things
as well, of course.

--
David Kastrup