Re: handbell shake

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: handbell shake
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 18:23:54 -0700

On 2018-05-30 15:40, Thomas Morley wrote:
I don't know anything about handbell choir music and which special
notation-features may be needed.
Are there any images you could link to?

Thomas,

For your (or anyone else's) reference, here is a site that summarizes standard American handbell notation:

https://www.handbellworld.com/music/HandbellNotation.cfm

Shaking is almost always denoted with `Sk`, but often that notation is accompanied with a wavy line as well. (The wavy line is similar to the arpeggio marking but horizontal.) Usually the wavy line is only necessary if there are other non-shaken notes in the measure and the duration of the shake is not otherwise clear. Also, I have seen music where you have layers of shaken bells all starting and ending at different points. Again, the wavy line can help make things clearer for ringers.

The skake line is strictly horizontal and would extend for the duration of the note, so it not attached to anything on the right end. It would be similar to the *laissez vibrer*--a tie with no target.

-- Aaron Hill