Re: \longa and \maxima

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: \longa and \maxima
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 12:18:29 +0200

Am 06.06.2018 um 12:10 schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Am 06.06.2018 um 11:47 schrieb Michael Gerdau:
do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?

I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.

{
     c'' \longa
}
[snip]

Does adding
\override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'baroque
do what you are looking for?
unfortunately not. It will change the notehead style (which I'll keep
for this example), but it won't give me a \maxima (i.e. the notehead
with stems on both sides.

This is arguably wrong musically, but I was asked to render the sample
just like in the old print.
There are differences, cf

{
   \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
   \time 8/1
   c'\maxima \longa \breve 1 1
}

The differences are more pronounced in style #'mensural but then
everything looks a whole lot different.

Ah, thanks.
The problem isn't that there is a \maxima notehead missing - but that it conflicted with the actual R1*4 in the other staff.

Now it properly get the intended result with
{
  \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
  \time 4/1
  \scaleDurations 1/2 c' \maxima
}

Now the commissioner can choose which one they like. And I assume (hope) that the unusual glyph with two stems can be dismissed.

Thanks
Urs