\consists terminology (was: Advice on naming and structuring scholarLY c

From: Urs Liska
Subject: \consists terminology (was: Advice on naming and structuring scholarLY commands)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:11:44 +0200

[Adding a distinction in the thread title]

Am 15. Juni 2018 09:44:44 MESZ schrieb "N. Andrew Walsh" <address@hidden>:
>Pedantry Corner: the *active* verb that Elaine is seeking is actually
>"comprise." As in, "the committee comprises representatives from
>various
>disciplines." The verb in the opposite direction is "compose:"
>"representatives of various disciplines compose the committee."
>"Composed"
>can be used in passive voice to have a similar meaning to "comprise,"
>which
>does not take a passive voice. On the other hand, Garner points out
>that
>"consist in" is the proper construction when referring to intangible
>components, as in: "the engraving standards of the Lilypond system
>consist
>in the ideals of good typography, ease of use, and robustness of
>information preservation."
>
>But on the larger point, my understanding of the \consists command is
>that
>the "of" ("in"?) is simply elided.

That's not what \consists does. But one should take into account that there may be a difference between what the effects of that command are from the user's perspective and what it does internally.

The given context does not "consist of" an engraver. Rather (but I may not have fully grasped it either) it registers the engraver as a callback function to process the context at some point.

Urs