Fix or workaround for spacing problems in SVG output?

From: Stephen Cummings
Subject: Fix or workaround for spacing problems in SVG output?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 09:07:23 -0700

My project requires SVG rather than PDF output but LP 2.19 gives unexpected, unacceptable results in the spacing of some elements. The PDF for the code below looks fine. In the SVG, not only does the tempo mark print on top of the first two bar numbers but the spacing of text in the tempo mark is goofed up--the metronome quarter note collides with the "=" and I think the dash between tempo values is off to one side.

I'm a Lilypond novice. So far I've tried adding markups to the tempo command but they haven't worked or they've crashed. I'm quite willing to add lengthy hacky spacing commands even if they make the PDF look terrible, as long as they give the desired SVG output. So if anyone can suggest some specific commands to try, including where to put them, I'm content to experiment with nudge values and other options until the SVG positioning comes out ok. And if you already know that what I'm trying to kludge isn't kludgeable, please let me know.

If it matters, I'm making separate MIDI versions of the scores so the tempo mark doesn't have to be a "real" one.

I do see there's a patch addressing SVG spacing issue. Even if that patch fixes what I'm complaining about, I don't know from patches and fear that learning how to patch and compile Lilypond is beyond what I can do for now. If anyone can direct me to or provide me with a Windows version of Lilypond 2.19+ compiled with the SVG-fixing patch, well that would be marvelous.

Thank you,
Steve Cummings

Code:

%-----------------------------------

\version "2.19.48"

\book {

\paper {
  indent = #0
}

\score {
  \header {
  piece = \markup {
            \override #'(font-name . "Calibri Bold")
            \raise #1 { "Example piece" }
            " "
          }
  title = ##f
  }
  \new StaffGroup
<<
    \new staff {
      \time 2/4
      \tempo 4 = 60-80
      \bar ""
      \partial 8
        r8               |   %  0
        a'8 r8 r4        |   %  1
        b'8 c'8 r4       |   %  2
    }

    \new staff {
      \time 2/4
      \bar ""
      \partial 8
        b'8              |   %  0
        r4 e'8 d'8       |   %  1
        r4 r8 g'8        |   %  2
    }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
      \omit SystemStartBar
      \override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t4f/)
      \override BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
      \override BarNumber #'break-align-symbols = #'(staff-bar clef) % #'(left-edge)
      \override BarNumber.font-size = #0.35
      barNumberVisibility = #all-bar-numbers-visible

SVG:

PDF: