Re: Syntax

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Syntax
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 21:59:01 +0200

Hi Mark,

Am 05.07.2018 um 21:39 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi,
I'm writing my first score.
Basically, I'm using a code example found in lilypond documentation and I'm
doing some changes:

\version 3.0.1
really??

This looks very much like the current version of Frescobaldi.

Maybe it's obvious to you, maybe not, but you should be well aware that LilyPond "is" not Frescobaldi. LilyPond is a batch program that reads text files and engraves scores from them, Frescobaldi is one tool to help you edit these text files.

I don't want to be nitpicking, but this differentiation may save you from some confusion down the road.

Frescobaldi's current version is 3.0.1, LilyPond has a "stable" release 2.18.2 and a "development" release 2.19.82. In the vast majority of cases you shouldn't hesitate to use a current development release since these are not at all unstable (at least not from a practical point of view).

Best wishes
Urs