Re: Interactive PDF Link to Notes in Preview

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Interactive PDF Link to Notes in Preview
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 17:50:05 +0200

Il giorno sab 7 lug 2018 alle 10:26, Mats Behre <"mats.behre"@telia.com> ha scritto:
On 2018-07-03 18:47, Zone Dremik wrote:
Hello,
After a recent upgrade to my computer, the function that links music notes (and lyrics) in the PDF viewer, to the text in the Lilypond files, has stopped working.

The ability to click on notes and lyrics in the preview screen, and have the exact point highlighted in the corresponding Lilypond file was so enormously useful, that the loss of this function has become a great barrier to efficient use of the program.

I am using Lilypond Version 2.18.2-1
Apple Macintosh System 10.11.6
Apple Preview Version 8.1 (877.7)
I don't think I have ever managed to get this to work with Preview, and my first attempt was way before Sierra, so I'm not sure it has ever worked. (10.11 is El Capitan, by the way ...) I have used Acrobat Reader instead, but Preview updates the page when you rebuild, with Acrobat doesn't, so it's not ideal. Others have mentioned Skim, perhaps that's something to take a look at.

Today I had the chance to try my father's Mac.
I confirm that Acrobat Reader follows the textedit URIs and open the LilyPond app, but cannot refresh the document when the file is updated. I've read that this feature is only in the Pro version.

Ok, let's forget about proprietary software.
I've now installed Skim reader, which works great:

- it opens LilyPond app when you click on the notes
- it's opened by LilyPond app when you compile the music, if you set Skim as default PDF viewer
- you can set automatic refresh in the preferences

Now the last thing I'd like to change is the application to launch: I want to replace the (primitive) LilyPond app with a more modern text editor.
Does anybody know how to do it?

I guess I'll write a small post on lilypondblog.org if I manage to get all working.

Thanks
Federico