Re: Opinions: expressive text and markup sizes

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Opinions: expressive text and markup sizes
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 01:54:35 -0700 (MST)

Aaron Hill wrote
> However, there is something odd with the units returned.  I
> experimentally found that a fudge factor of 1.125 appeared to mostly
> correct things, but I am almost certainly just overlooking something
> important.,

Hi Aaron,

Your coding (without fudge factor) will work as expected only if the
original font-size is 0, because the \magnify command will use
magnification->font-size for calculating the resulting font-size, so that a
\magnify factor of 1.0 (should be 100%, i.e. no scaling at all) will always
result in font-size 0.

But in this case, you're using Lyrics in your example, and, incidentally,
the default setting of LyricsText.font-size happens to be #1 and all markup
\fontsize commands (and, consequently, the stencil extents) will refer to
that size.

Ordinary TextScripts will come out too large when using this fixed fudge
factor of 1.125, because they have an original font-size of #0 by default.

In other words: the object's individual font-size property is getting in the
way when using the \magnify command and you'll have to take the current
font-size into account.

Just declare
  #:properties ((font-size 0))
in order to make the current font-size available and use
  (magstep font-size)
as a "fudge factor" instead of a hard-coded 1.125.

HTH,
Torsten