Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Partcombine not working for orchestral parts?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 13:17:53 -0400

On 7/13/2018 1:00 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Ben,

If you have a full orchestra score, with Flutes 1 & 2 on one staff in the score and also separated out parts via partcombine, where/how do you place a dynamic then so that it applies to both locations without redundant markings?
The part-combiner actually does a great job of merging identical dynamics — no need (usually!) to do any extra work.

Specifically: I'm confused how to relocate the Flute 2's above-the-staff-dynamic in the full score to the normal under-the-staff location for Flute 2's part, single staff page. Do I need to input each dynamic mark twice?
No. The part-combiner *should* do that correctly (as I recall, from my rather heavy work with it several years ago).

You're absolutely right. Wow. I just tried it with the example I gave earlier w/ the two flutes. Sure enough, the pp dynamic is above the staff for the full score but both pp are below for Flute 1 and Flute 2 separately.

I keep finding these ways that LilyPond is just so powerful - my mind can only explode so many times haha thanks so much for this!