Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 17:06:25 +0200

Hi Aaron, thanks for the hints.

On 2018-07-17 02:27, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi, when running with the -dshow-available-fonts option I get (among
others) a list of font familes with entries like the following:

family Verdana

Verdana:style=Standard,Normal,obyčejné,Κανονικά,Regular,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta
family Kepler Std
 Kepler Std,Kepler Std Light Cn Disp:style=Light Condensed Display,Regular

What do the different output formats refer to: some with a ":style="
part, some with direct font names.

And in some cases I find multiple entries for a font family

family Helvetica LT Std
 Helvetica LT Std:style=Oblique,Italic
family Helvetica LT Std
 Helvetica LT Std,Helvetica LT Std Cond:style=Bold Condensed,Bold
family Helvetica LT Std
 Helvetica LT Std,Helvetica LT Std Cond:style=Condensed,Regular

(with many more entries in this case).

And these mixes of font name conventions:

family Helvetica Neue LT Std
 Helvetica Neue LT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn:style=77 Bold Condensed
Oblique,Bold Italic

I'm somewhat confused what to make out of this diverse information.

I'm looking into this because I'd like to try making a better dialog
for showing fonts in Frescobaldi.

Here is documentation on FontConfig's naming convention:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html#AEN36

LilyPond's output is similar to what you get from `fc-list : family style`.

Unfortunately I still don't get it.

If I have a family of "Libre Baskerville Condensed" and the detail string "Libre Baskerville Condensed:style=Italic" this probably means the italic variant of that font. And in fact there are three instances of that font with three different styles.

And "Monotype Modern Std,Modern MT Std Condensed:style=Condensed,Regular"
Is it possible that the styles are listed in reverse order?

Oddly, LilyPond has support to show the file path for a font, but it doesn't select that property when building the object set.  In font-config-scheme.cc:85 (as of 2.19.82), the call to FcObjectSetBuild probably should include FC_FILE as well.

On your system, try running `fc-list : file family style`.  You can see if the file paths are unique for the apparent duplicates you are seeing, which is what I would expect to be the case.

Well, it seems apart from the fact that some font files seem to be duplicated on my system it seems that many font families are not reported in one step but in multiple steps that have to be merged manually.

I'll do some tests and may report back.
Urs

-- Aaron Hill