Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 13:59:03 -0700 (MST)

Werner LEMBERG wrote
>   EB Garamond 08
>   ['EB Garamond 08']
>   ['Italic', 'Cursiva', 'kurzíva', 'kursiv', 'Πλάγια', 'Italic',
>   'Kursivoitu', 'Italique', 'Dőlt', 'Corsivo', 'Cursief', 'Kursywa',
>   'Itálico', 'Курсив', 'İtalik', 'Poševno', 'Etzana']
>
> […]
>
> BTW, for emmentaler-26.otf I see this entry in `fc-list':
>
>   .../emmentaler-26.otf: Emmentaler\-26:style=26

Well, the 08 seems to be the design size (there's also EB Garamond 12).

If we consider design sizes (not just linear scaling of one single font), it
seems sensible to have the Emmentaler design sizes in the style string, too.
Emmentaler 20 will have style=20 etc.

Linotype, for instance, build up the font-style from

But even there, you may sometimes get "Italic" and sometimes "Kursiv",
meaning the same thing.

"design" indicates a special version with Old Style Figures or rounded like
in VAG Rounded used by Volkswagen for many decades.

Perhaps this document might be helpful, even if Linotype is just one company
out of many:
Naming Convention for Typefaces and Digital Fonts at Linotype Library GmbH
<http://image.linotype.com/files/pdf/LN0005_V1_2.pdf>

It all seems quite a mess - independent of Frescobaldi, font-config, et al.

All the best,
Torsten