Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Format of -dshow-available-fonts output
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:10:03 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> OK, I now see, there is also a reference to "ignore spaces" somewhere in
> the verbose log output.

I rather suspect (that's a Pango issue) that the font name specified in
LilyPond is tweaked (ignore case and spaces) in order to find the
corresponding font file and then, font strings are extracted from the font
file (see below).

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> Then why is LilyPond (in the output of -dshow-available-fots) reporting
> "BoldItalic" and not "Bold Italic"?

The funny thing is: "my" LilyPonds (Linux and Windows) don't report
BoldItalic for TeX Gyre Adventor, but actually Bold Italic.

In other cases, however, LilyPond reports BoldItalic.

When looking into the TFF Names of FontForge, there seems to be a connexion
between string ID "Styles (SubFamily)" and the LilyPond output:

*TeX Gyre Adventor*
Styles (SubFamily): "Bold Italic"
LilyPond reports: TeX Gyre Adventor:style=Bold Italic

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/adventor-font-info.png>

*Century Schoolbook L*
Styles (SubFamily): BoldItalic
LilyPond reports: Century Schoolbook L:style=BoldItalic

So, LilyPond just reports the "Styles (SubFamily)" string content of the
font file: sometimes, it's "Bold Italic", sometimes it's "BoldItalic".

There may also be a "Preferred Styles" string ID.
In this case (if there they differ from "Styles (SubFamily)"), these strings
will be reported separated by spaces.

If there are Styles strings in more than one language (most of the times,
it's only English (US)), these strings also will be enumerated separated by
comma.

Family and Preferred Family may also be both reported by LilyPond (separated
by comma), as e.g. if a font comes in different weights etc., e.g.

Preferred Family "Bodoni MT", Families "Bodoni MT", "Bodoni MT Black",
"Bodoni MT Condensed", etc.

*All in all:* Could you check your TeX Gyre Adventor FontForge TTF Names
Styles string? Does it say BoldItalic or Bold Italic?
May these irregularities be caused by the font files themselves?

All the best,
Torsten