Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Barcheck failure warnings for lyrics in parallel mode
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 23:10:20 +0200

"Galen Menzel" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7 Aug 2018, at 14:53, David Wright wrote:
>
>> On Tue 07 Aug 2018 at 12:30:03 (-0700), Galen Menzel wrote:
>>
>>> Now, although `lyrics_c` is a silly way to write a lyric line,
>>> `lyrics_b` seems reasonable to me. Is there a better way to define a
>>> lyric line in a `parallelMusic` definition so that lilypond doesn’t
>>> complain? And if not, is there a way to suppress these barcheck
>>> failure warnings?
>>
>> From NR §1.2.5:
>>
>>     Note that bar check marks in lyrics are evaluated at the musical
>>     moment when the syllable following the check mark is processed. If
>>     the lyrics are associated with the notes of a voice which has a
>>     rest at the beginning of a bar, then no syllable can be located at
>>     the start of that bar and a warning will be issued if a bar check
>>     mark is placed in the lyrics at that position.
>
> So basically explicit bar markings and lyrics just don’t play nicely
> together?

And auto-length lyrics.  If you give the lyric syllables explicit
durations and not use \lyricsto/\addlyrics but just set associatedVoice
and \lyricmode appropriately, you can write bar checks into the lyrics
perfectly well.  Note that bar checks indicate that your lyrics _are_
written to match a given rhythm at seminal points, so there is some
motivation to either put none of the rhythm into the lyrics (and let
them get autotimed using \addlyrics/lyricsto) or put all of it in and
use explicit durations.

--
David Kastrup