Re: piano ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: piano ties
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:04:32 +0200 (CEST)

>>   \relative c' {
>>     \clef "bass"
>>     \time 3/4
>>     << { <g b>2. ~ |
>>          \oneVoice\shiftOff \hideNotes <g b>2 r4 \unHideNotes } \\
>>        { d!2. ~ |
>>          \oneVoice\shiftOff <d e g b>2. } \\
>>        { f4 e2 ~ |
>>          \oneVoice\shiftOff \hideNotes <d e g b>2 s4 \unHideNotes } >>
>>   }
>
> While not precisely what your image shows, this is the best I could
> do:
>
> %%%%
> \relative d {
>   \clef "bass"
>   \time 3/4
>   \set tieWaitForNote = ##t
>   <<
>     { <d g b>2.~ }
>     { \shiftOn f4 e2~ }
>   >>
>   <d e g b>2.
> }
> %%%%
>
> The main difference is that the quarter note does not get its own
> column.

Thanks for your try.  Alas, the notation you are suggesting is not
standard in piano notation – the first quarter needs a separate stem.

> To my eye, I would prefer to have the notes in the same column, as
> it is a little odd to see the quarter note appearing between the
> dotted half notes' heads and their dot.  But I suppose that
> positioning does make the quarter note stand out.

AFAIK, there is no other solution possible from a music typographer's
standpoint.

It essentially boils down to the fact that inter-voice ties (and
slurs) would be tremendously helpful for notation of piano music.

Does anyone know what obstacles prevent an implementation of such a
feature?

    Werner