Re: How to create an installer from the Lilypond build tree?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: How to create an installer from the Lilypond build tree?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:40:21 +0200

Il 24 ago 2018 14:49, Engraver <address@hidden> ha scritto:

Hello Federico,

I use the testing version of Debian Buster. There is indeed (on first
sight) a Lilypond 2.19 in the repositories. I installed that and ran '
lilypond -version': it reports itself as "2.18.2". Then I looked more
closely to the packagename. It is called: "2.19.81+really-2.18.2-13". It
seems that the experimental brach of Buster does have a real 2.19.xx.

Then you may use pinning to install lilypond from experimental. But you may have dependency problems and pinning can be "dangerous" if not used correctly.
I guess you'd better compile from source.

However, I only saw that after already having compiled Lilypond myself.
I only wish there were a way to create an installer so that I don't have to
create the complete build environment anew when something goes wrong with
my current Linux installation.

You shouldn't have to create again the build environment.
And you may build a deb package from your desktop computer