Re: Latest lilypond stable release?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Latest lilypond stable release?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:53:38 +0200

On 19.09.2018 01:46, H. S. Teoh wrote:
According to the website (lilypond.org), the latest stable release is
2.18.2, and the unstable release is 2.19.82.

However, I've been using the latest version from git, and it claims to
be version 2.21.0.  So, what happened to 2.20.*?  Why does the git
version claim to be 2.21.0?

More pertinently, what version should I be using on the \version line?

2.19.82 is already a prerelease for 2.20.0, since we’re in the process leading up to this next stable release. IIUC, this is why the git version is called 2.21.0, because only some of the changes applied now will still make it into the stable release and most will be 2.21 material. It is customary for those who compile from current master to use a 2.21.0 version statement indeed.

Best, Simon