Re: Sample document to show music fonts

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sample document to show music fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:02:11 +0200

Am 20.09.2018 um 02:09 schrieb Br. Samuel Springuel:
On 9/19/18 6:23 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
Do you have any concerns about the limitations with regard to the use of the Score Wizard for the Score Wizard's use case too?

The limitations I was worried about were related to the lack of variety of the glyphs involved in the preview.  When it comes to previewing a layout, variety in glyphs isn't really necessary. When it comes to picking a font, it is.  The whole point of the standard "quick brown fox" sentence for previewing text fonts is that it includes every letter in the English language.  While such coverage is probably impossible for a music font (which would contain a whole lot more glyphs), one does need to see a range of the available glyphs in order to make an informed choice.  What you demonstrated had much better variety and the ability to provide a custom template file would enable a user interested in particular glyphs to make sure they show up.

Now that there seems to be a certain common understanding of my initial idea, may I repeat my request for someone to provide a suitable default sample document? Coming up with a score that provides representative details with as little content as possible does require some creativity, and it would be a good idea if someone else deals with that so I can spend my time with the coding itself.

Now that I think about it, there is one limitation which affects the Score Wizard use case: length of the preview.  The preview music in the Score Wizard is limited to 2 measures or 10 notes (of the beat length), whichever is shorter (not counting the pickup note, if present).  This makes for a nice short preview, but it never shows what happens after a line break.  Having the ability to have a longer preview would be helpful when dealing with those settings which have an effect on the second line, but not the first (say, instrument names).

https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues/1106

Urs