Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: Maarten Deen
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 11:20:20 +0200

On 2018-10-03 10:13, David Kastrup wrote:
Maarten Deen <address@hidden> writes:

But the solution offered by Kieren did not work in 2.16.2 (didn't test
other versions).

2.16.2 is, like, really old.  Released more than 5 years ago.  If you
are doing typesetting of new scores, there is really not much of a point
of fighting the constraints of software as old as that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining it isn't possible there. It's just that I have that version installed on my Ubuntu system as it is the one in apt and it was the first one I tested with so my first idea was "why doesn't this work with me". It is perfectly fine that it works in 2.18.2 because I do most of my typesetting with that version anyway (installed on my Windows system), but I do again want to express that I hope this wasn't some side effect of some other change that may or may not disappear in a future version. Since if this would be a documented feature, there does not need to be an annual discussion about it ;)

Regards,
Maarten